gives the fractional part of x.
- Mathematical function, suitable for both symbolic and numerical manipulation.
- FractionalPart[x] in effect takes all digits to the right of the decimal point and drops the others.
- FractionalPart[x]+IntegerPart[x] is always exactly x.
- FractionalPart[x] yields a result when x is any numeric quantity, whether or not it is an explicit number.
- For exact numeric quantities, FractionalPart internally uses numerical approximations to establish its result. This process can be affected by the setting of the global variable $MaxExtraPrecision.
- FractionalPart applies separately to real and imaginary parts of complex numbers.
- FractionalPart automatically threads over lists.
Introduced in 1996