• Factor[poly] factors a polynomial over the integers.
• Factor applies only to the top level in an expression. You may have to apply Factor again to reach other levels.
• The exponents of variables need not be positive integers. Factor can deal with exponents that are linear combinations of symbolic expressions.
• When given a rational expression, Factor effectively first calls Together, then factors numerator and denominator.
• See also: ExpandAll, Simplify, SolveEquation.
Here is the InstantCalculator for the Factor function. Enter the parameters for your calculation and click Calculate to see the result.
Entering Commands Directly
You can paste a template for this command via the Text Input button on the Factor Function Controller.
Here are a few factored polynomials.
This polynomial doesn't factor, so it returned unchanged.
Here, we factor a polynomial in three variables with 195 terms.