• ArcTan[z] gives the arc tangent of the complex number z.
• ArcTan[x, y] gives the arc tangent of , taking into account which quadrant the point is in.
• All results are given in radians.
• For real z, the results are always in the range to .
• ArcTan[z] can be input as .
• If x or y is complex, then ArcTan[x, y] gives . When , ArcTan[x, y] gives the number such that and .
• See also: ArcCos, ArcSin, Arg.
Here is the InstantCalculator for the ArcTan function. Enter the parameters for your calculation and click Calculate to see the result.
Entering Commands Directly
You can paste a template for this command via the Text Input button on the ArcTan Function Controller.
Here is a plot of ArcTan[x] for x from -10 to 10.
This is the derivative.
This is the indefinite integral.
Ordinary Mathematical Notation
This also gives the derivative.
This also gives the indefinite integral.