Wolfram Language & System 10.4 (2016)|Legacy Documentation
This is documentation for an earlier version of the Wolfram Language.View current documentation (Version 11.2)
expands all powers of products and powers.
expands only with respect to the variables .
- PowerExpand converts to , whatever the form of is.
- PowerExpand also converts to , whatever the form of is.
- The transformations made by PowerExpand are correct in general only if is an integer or and are positive real numbers.
- PowerExpand converts Log[a^b] to bLog[a].
- PowerExpand in general disregards all issues of branches of multivalued functions, so may not preserve the numerical values of expressions.
- PowerExpand automatically threads over lists, as well as equations, inequalities and logic functions.
- PowerExpand has the option Assumptions, specifying assumptions to use.
- The default setting for the Assumptions option is Automatic, corresponding to a maximal set of assumptions.
- You can specify default assumptions for PowerExpand using Assuming.
Without PowerExpand, no expansion is done:
Introduced in 1991
(2.0)| Updated in 2007