Wolfram Language & System 10.4 (2016)|Legacy Documentation
This is documentation for an earlier version of the Wolfram Language.View current documentation (Version 11.2)
gives , , or depending on whether x is negative, zero, or positive.
- Mathematical function, suitable for both symbolic and numerical manipulation.
- For non‐zero complex numbers z, Sign[z] is defined as z/Abs[z].
- Sign tries various transformations in trying to determine the sign of symbolic expressions.
- For exact numeric quantities, Sign internally uses numerical approximations to establish its result. This process can be affected by the setting of the global variable $MaxExtraPrecision.
- Sign automatically threads over lists.
Introduced in 1988
(1.0)| Updated in 1996