Wolfram Language & System 10.0 (2014)|Legacy Documentation
This is documentation for an earlier version of the Wolfram Language.View current documentation (Version 11.2)
tries to expand out special and certain other functions in expr, when possible reducing compound arguments to simpler ones.
expands using assumptions.
- FunctionExpand uses a large collection of rules.
- FunctionExpand applies to certain trigonometric functions as well as special functions.
- FunctionExpand attempts to expand DifferentialRoot and DifferenceRoot objects in terms of special and other functions.
- FunctionExpand is automatically called by FullSimplify.
- Assumptions in FunctionExpand can be specified as in Simplify.
- FunctionExpand[expr,x∈Reals] performs expansion assuming that x is real.
- FunctionExpand has the option Assumptions, specifying default assumptions to be appended to assum.
- The default setting for the Assumptions option is $Assumptions.
- You can specify default assumptions for FunctionExpand using Assuming.
- FunctionExpand automatically threads over lists in expr, as well as equations, inequalities and logic functions.
Introduced in 1996
(3.0)| Updated in 2008