A.2 Installing a Single-Machine Copy on Unix
Section 3.3 describes how to install Mathematica on a Unix client so that it uses a network license supplied by a license server. This section describes how to install and run Mathematica using a single-machine password. To complete the installation, you will need to contact Wolfram Research and obtain a password (see Section 1.4.2 for details).
To install a single-machine copy of Mathematica on Unix:
1. Mount the CD. For information on mounting the CD, see Section 3.1.
2. Change directory to /cdrom/Unix.
3. Run the installer.
4. You are asked to select the platform for which you are doing the installation. Choose one of the available options and press to continue. Note: This step does not appear when installing on Linux.
Mathematica 5.0 Installer
Copyright (c) 2003 Wolfram Research, Inc. All rights reserved.
WARNING: Mathematica 5.0 is protected by copyright law and international
treaties. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution may result in severe civil
and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible
For which of the following platforms would you like to install
Type your selection (multiple choices can be separated with spaces), or press
ENTER to select (1):
5. You can either do a full install or a minimal install. Choose one of the two options and press to continue.
The following installation methods are available:
Type your selection, or press ENTER to select (1):
6. The installer prompts you to specify the directory to which Mathematica should be installed. The default location is /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.0. Press to accept the default, or type in a new location and then press .
Enter the installation directory, or press ENTER to select
If you specify a directory that does not exist, the installer will give you the option of creating the directory. If a copy of Mathematica already exists in the directory you specify, the installer will inform you before overwriting the files.
Thank you for upgrading your copy of Mathematica. A previous version was found in the specified location. Installing into this location will result in the removal of ALL files. If you have any files you wish to keep in this directory you should exit the installer and move the files to a separate directory before continuing.
Overwrite directory (y/n)?
7. Once you have answered all the questions, the installer begins copying files from the CD to the top directory you specified. The progress of the copying is indicated by a progress bar on the screen.
8. You are asked for the location in which to copy the executable scripts. The directory should be one that is present on each user's PATH. The scripts are also installed within the Mathematica directory, in Executables/platform. Type a location or accept the default and press .
Type the directory path in which the Mathematica scripts will be created,
or press ENTER to select /usr/local/bin:
9. The installer checks to see if any other Mathematica scripts exist on the current PATH. If they do, you are given the chance to rename each script. Either type 1 to overwrite the existing scripts or type 2 to rename the scripts. Press when finished. If you chose to rename the scripts, you will be prompted for an extension to append to the executable file names.
The scripts 'math', 'mathematica', 'Mathematica', 'MathKernel', 'mcc' already
exist in the directory /usr/local/bin. The following actions can be performed
on the existing file(s).
Type your selection, or press ENTER to select (1):
10. You are given several options for installing the password. Type 1 and press to run Mathematica using a single-machine license.
Please choose how you want to configure the password for Mathematica 5.0.
(1) Single machine
Install a password specific to this machine. Mathematica will launch
and you can enter your password.
(2) Network license
Obtain a license from a MathLM License Server on your network each time
Mathematica is launched.
(3) Enter license information later
Input your password and register when you start Mathematica.
Type your selection, or press ENTER to select (1):1
11. You are prompted to enter your name, the name of your organization, and your license ID. Press after each step. The license ID is printed on the license certificate included in the box.
Configuring Single-Machine Password...
Mathematica 5.0 for Linux
Copyright 1988-2003 Wolfram Research, Inc.
You will need to get a password from your
license certificate or from Wolfram Research
Machine name: fermat
You will need a valid license ID and password in order
to proceed. Go to register.wolfram.com or
consult your Getting Started documentation.
Enter your name: jsmith
Enter the name of your organization: WRI
Enter your license ID [format Lxxxx-xxxx]: L1111-1111
12. You are prompted to enter your password. If you have not already received your password, you will need to register with Customer Service, and supply your MathID and license ID to get the password (see Section 1.4.2). Enter your password exactly as it was given to you, with all the dashes, colons, and numbers, and press .
Enter your password:
13. The installer creates the mathpass file and informs you of its location. The installation is now complete. You should test the installation, using the sample commands given in Section 3.4.2.
Creating password file entry in
See your Getting Started documentation if you need to
set up a site-wide password file.
-- Terminal graphics initialized --