Word Processing in Notebooks
Mathematica includes many commands for word processing and formatting.
You can set the following cell options from the Format menu:
To apply an option:
1. Select the cell bracket or some text.
2. Choose the option desired from the Format menu, such as the background color.
To spell check a notebook:
1. Click Edit Check Spelling.
2. Mathematica begins to spell check the notebook at the position of the cursor. At any misspelling or unknown word, Mathematica displays the word and recommends a replacement.
Using the pop-up menu, you can add the word to the notebook, to the session, or to your global preferences.
To type a formula into a text cell:
1. Place the cursor in the text cell where you want to enter the formula. Press ( or 9 . A placeholder box appears in the cell.
2. Using keystrokes, enter the formula (see Entering Mathematical Notation).
3. Press ) or 0 to end the formula.
You can copy and paste entire cells into other cells. For example, you can include typeset formulas from input cells or embed graphics in a text cell.
To paste one cell inside another:
1. Select the cell bracket.
2. Choose Edit Copy.
3. Postion the cursor or select some text.
3. Choose Edit Paste.
Mathematica can automatically hyphenate words in text cells. When command names are long, Mathematica uses a special continuation character () to break the name. You can control hyphenation using the Option Inspector (see Configuring Notebooks).