Follow these basic instructions to install Mathematica on your computer. For more detailed
instructions, check the installation card that comes with Mathematica or see reference.wolfram.com.
visit support.wolfram.com/installation or refer to the troubleshooting section for your platform in this manual.
See Upgrading from Version 4 and Earlier if you are upgrading from an earlier
version of Mathematica.
Network Mathematica: System administrators should use the instructions in the Mathematica
Products System Administration Guide or at reference.wolfram.com to install the Mathematica license manager, MathLM. Once
MathLM is installed, you can use the instructions on this page to install a copy of Mathematica.
- Insert the CD. The Mathematica CD window appears on your
- Click the button labeled Install Mathematica to a hard disk and follow the instructions on the screen.
On Mac OS X:
- Insert the CD. Then double-click
the Mathematica 5.1.dmg icon that appears on your desktop. A new window appears on your screen.
- Drag the Mathematica 5.1 icon from this window to the location on your hard drive where you want
to install it.
- Mount the CD. For mounting commands on specific platforms, visit reference.wolfram.com.
- Run the
# cd /
- Follow the instructions provided by the installer.
Windows: If the Mathematica CD window does not appear, the CD autorun feature might be disabled on your computer. To install Mathematica, open the CD-ROM drive icon, open the Windows directory, and double-click the setup.exe icon.
Windows: If your CD-ROM driver is not able to read files with long filenames, open the Windows directory on the CD and run setup.exe to install Mathematica.
Unix/Mac OS X/Windows NT, 2000, and XP: If you want all users to have access to Mathematica, install Mathematica as root or administrator.