Follow these basic instructions to install Mathematica on your computer. For more detailed instructions, check the installation card that comes with Mathematica or see documents.wolfram.com/installation.
For installation troubleshooting, visit support.wolfram.com/installation or refer to the troubleshooting section for your platform in this manual.
See Upgrading from Version 4 and Earlier if you are upgrading from an earlier version of Mathematica.
Network Mathematica: System administrators should use the instructions in the Mathematica Products System Administration Guide or at documents.wolfram.com/installation to install the Mathematica license manager, MathLM. Once MathLM is installed, you can use the instructions on this page to install a copy of Mathematica.
- Insert the CD. The Mathematica CD window appears on your screen.
- Click the button labeled Install Mathematica to a hard disk and follow the instructions on the screen.
On Mac OS X:
- Insert the CD. Then double-click the Mathematica 5.1.dmg icon that appears on your desktop. A new window appears on your screen.
- Drag the Mathematica 5.1 icon from this window to the location on your hard drive where you want to install it.
- Mount the CD. For mounting commands on specific platforms, visit documents.wolfram.com.
- Run the commands:
# cd /
- Follow the instructions provided by the installer.
Windows: If the Mathematica CD window does not appear, the CD autorun feature might be disabled on your computer. To install Mathematica, open the CD-ROM drive icon, open the Windows directory, and double-click the setup.exe icon.
Windows: If your CD-ROM driver is not able to read files with long filenames, open the Windows directory on the CD and run setup.exe to install Mathematica.
Unix/Mac OS X/Windows NT, 2000, and XP: If you want all users to have access to Mathematica, install Mathematica as root or administrator.