• $BaseDirectory gives the base directory in which system-wide files to be loaded by Mathematica are conventionally placed.
• $BaseDirectory returns the full name of the directory as a string.
• Typical values are:
|C:\DocumentsandSettings\AllUsers\ApplicationData\Mathematica ||Windows |
|/Library/Mathematica ||Macintosh |
|/usr/share/Mathematica ||Unix |
• The value of $BaseDirectory
can be specified by setting the MATHEMATICA_BASE
operating system environment variable when the Mathematica
kernel is launched. It cannot be reset from inside the kernel.
• Typical subdirectories of $BaseDirectory are:
|Applications ||Mathematica application packages |
|Autoload ||packages to be autoloaded on startup |
|FrontEnd ||front end initialization files |
|Kernel ||kernel initialization files |
|Licensing ||license management files |
|SystemFiles ||general system files |
• These subdirectories are, if possible, created automatically the first time Mathematica is run.
• Appropriate subdirectories are automatically included on $Path
• New in Version 5.