• $Path gives the default list of directories to search in attempting to find an external file.
• The structure of directory and file names may differ from one computer system to another.
is used both for files in Get
and for external programs in Install
• The setting for $Path
can be overridden in specific functions using the Path
• The directory names are specified by strings. The full file names tested are of the form ToFileName[directory,name].
• On most computer systems, the following special characters can be used in directory names:
|. ||the current directory |
|.. ||the directory one level up in the hierarchy |
|~ ||the user's home directory |
• $Path can contain nested sublists.
• New in Version 1.