• $SyntaxHandler is a global variable which, if set, is applied to any input string that is found to contain a syntax error.
• The arguments given to $SyntaxHandler are the complete input string and an integer specifying the character position at which the syntax error was detected.
• The first character in the string is taken to have position 1.
• Any string returned by $SyntaxHandler is used as a new version of the input string, and is fed to Mathematica. If the string does not end with a newline, Mathematica waits for input to complete the line.
• If $SyntaxHandler
, input to Mathematica
is abandoned if possible.
• Input is not assigned to InString[n] until after $SyntaxHandler is applied.
is not called for input from files obtained using Get
• New in Version 2.