• $UserBaseDirectory gives the base directory in which user-specific files to be loaded by Mathematica are conventionally placed.
• $UserBaseDirectory returns the full name of the directory as a string.
• Typical values are:
| C:\Documents and Settings\username \Application Data\Mathematica ||Windows |
|~/Library/Mathematica ||Macintosh |
|~/.Mathematica ||Unix |
• The value of $UserBaseDirectory can be specified by setting the MATHEMATICA_USERBASE operating system environment variable when the Mathematica kernel is launched. It cannot be reset from inside the kernel.
• Typical subdirectories of $UserBaseDirectory are:
|Applications ||Mathematica application packages |
|Autoload ||packages to be autoloaded on startup |
|FrontEnd ||front end initialization files |
|Kernel ||kernel initialization files |
|Licensing ||license management files |
|SystemFiles ||general system files |
• These subdirectories are, if possible, created automatically the first time Mathematica is run by a given user.
• Appropriate subdirectories are automatically included on $Path
• The subdirectories of $UserBaseDirectory
are given in $Path
before the corresponding ones of $BaseDirectory
• New in Version 5.