• FormatType is an option for output streams, graphics and functions such as Text which specifies the default format type to use when outputting expressions.
• Standard values for FormatType
are given in the notes for Format
• SetOptions[stream, FormatType -> type] resets the format type for an open stream.
• For graphics functions the default option setting is FormatType :> $FormatType.
• For graphics functions box-based format types such as StandardForm
can be used only when a notebook front end is present.
• New in Version 1; modified in 3.