• LinkLaunch["prog"] starts the external program prog and opens a MathLink connection to it.
• LinkLaunch["prog"] runs prog as a subsidiary or child process to your current Mathematica session.
• You can use a command such as LinkLaunch["math -mathlink"] to launch a subsidiary Mathematica kernel process from within your Mathematica session.
• On most computer systems calling LinkLaunch["prog"] multiple times with the same argument will start several prog processes running.
• On some computer systems, LinkLaunch[ ] will bring up a program browser.
• The option LinkProtocol
specifies the underlying data transport protocol to use.
• LinkLaunch internally calls a function analogous to the MLOpenArgv() function in the MathLink library.
• New in Version 3.