• OpenRead["file"] opens a file to read data from, and returns an InputStream object.
• OpenRead prepares to read from a file, starting at the beginning of the file.
• On systems that support pipes, OpenRead["!command"] runs the external program specified by command, and opens a pipe to get input from it.
• If OpenRead
does not succeed in opening a particular file or pipe, it generates a message, and returns $Failed
resolves file names according to the procedure described in Section A.6.1
• The function ReadList
automatically opens files or pipes that it needs.
• OpenRead returns InputStream["name", n], where name is the full name of a file or command, and n is a serial number that is unique across all streams opened in the current Mathematica session.
• With the option BinaryFormat->True the stream is opened in binary format, so that no textual interpretation of newlines or other data is done.
• New in Version 1.