• PrecisionGoal is an option for various numerical operations which specifies how many effective digits of precision should be sought in the final result.
• PrecisionGoal -> Automatic
normally yields a precision goal equal to half the setting for WorkingPrecision
• PrecisionGoal -> Infinity
specifies that precision should not be used as the criterion for terminating the numerical procedure. AccuracyGoal
is typically used in this case.
• Even though you may specify PrecisionGoal->n, the results you get may sometimes have much less than n-digit precision.
• In most cases, you must set WorkingPrecision
to be at least as large as PrecisionGoal
• PrecisionGoal effectively specifies the relative error allowed in a numerical procedure.
• With PrecisionGoal->p
attempts to make the numerical error in a result of size
be less than
• New in Version 2; modified in 5.