is a pattern object that matches the shortest sequence consistent with the pattern p.
- Shortest works for both ordinary expression patterns and string patterns.
- If several Shortest objects occur in the same expression, those that appear first are given higher priority to match shortest sequences.
- Shortest[p, pri] is given priority pri to be the shortest sequence. Matches for shortest sequences are tried first for Shortest objects with higher priorities.
- Priorities can be any expression, and are ordered in standard Mathematica Sort order. Shortest[p] specifies the highest possible priority.
- Shortest objects with equal priorities are tried in the order they appear in the expression.
- If no explicit Shortest or Longest is given, ordinary expression patterns are normally effectively assumed to be Shortest[p], while string patterns are assumed to be Longest[p].
- For ordinary expressions, Shortest[p] specifies that not just p itself, but also all parts of p should match the shortest sequences.
New in 6