starts the full Mathematica system including notebook interface on Unix and Linux.
- The Mathematica notebook interface provides dynamic interactivity and enhanced graphics functionality, and calls the kernel via MathLink to perform calculations.
- The first calculation in a notebook may take slightly longer, as it typically launches the kernel.
- The following command-line options are accepted on Unix and Linux:
-cleanStart ignore stored caches and rebuild the front end preferences file -backgroundTaskDelay n specify the time (in milliseconds) that the front end delays background tasks while waiting for input -copyright display copyright information on the command line -dontUpdatePrefs prevent changes to the user's preference settings -font f specify the font used in menus, buttons, etc. -help display a list of all command-line options -lmverbose print diagnostic information to stderr when connecting to MathLM -mathlink make the front end run as a child process that is capable of accepting MathLink packets -nogui prevent the display of any kind of window or dialogues -noSplashScreen prevent the splash screen from being displayed on startup -noTrueTypeFont prevent the use of TrueType font in the display -preferencesDirectory dir specify the location where preference settings are stored -primaryModifierMask mask specify the primary mask to be used as the command key -pwfile file specify a file in which to look for Mathematica passwords -pwpath p specify the search path for a password file -secondaryModifierMask mask specify the secondary mask to be used as the command key -singleLaunch allow only one copy of the front end per display -stderrWindow send stderr to a popup window instead of a terminal -style s specify the widget style used by the front end -topDirectory dir specify the location of the Mathematica installation directory -version print the current version of the front end on the command line
- When using -font, a list of possible font names can be found by using . The name can be expressed either as an X Logical Font Description or as a valid font alias.
- When using the -wwwBrowser option, the command can contain a format argument that is replaced with the URL.
- If you are running X, an additional menu folder named Wolfram is already installed in the desktop menu. Inside the folder is an item named Mathematica that points to the most recently installed version of Mathematica. File associations are modified such that .nb files are associated with the most recently installed version of Mathematica.