executes an external program, passing it the specified arguments argi.
- StartProcess returns a ProcessObject if the process it specifies can be started; otherwise, it returns $Failed.
- StartProcess can be used to interact with processes while they are running or to run "background tasks" without blocking the Wolfram Engine.
- StartProcess returns immediately and does not wait for the started process to complete. Use RunProcess to wait for a process to complete.
- In StartProcess["executable",arg1,…}], the argi are converted to strings using ToString.
- The Wolfram Engine can communicate with a subprocess represented by a ProcessObject with functions like WriteLine, WriteString, BinaryWrite, ReadLine, ReadString, and BinaryRead.
- The standard input, output, and error streams can be represented using ProcessConnection.
- Information about the subprocess can be queried using ProcessStatus and ProcessInformation.
- The following options can be given:
ProcessDirectory Inherited initial working directory ProcessEnvironment Inherited environment variables to give the subprocess
- By default, the subprocess will inherit its process directory and environment variables from the Wolfram Engine.
- If the Wolfram Engine is terminated, the subprocess will be forced to close.
- If any of the arguments argi are of the form "name"->value, they will be converted into the form "--name=value". If name is a single character, only one dash will be used.
Introduced in 2014