gives the base directory in which user‐specific files to be loaded by the Wolfram System are conventionally placed.
- $UserBaseDirectory returns the full name of the directory as a string.
- Typical values are:
C:∖Users∖username∖AppData\Roaming∖Mathematica Windows ~/Library/Mathematica Macintosh ~/.Mathematica Unix
- The value of $UserBaseDirectory can be specified by setting the operating system environment variable when the Wolfram Language kernel is launched. It cannot be reset from inside the kernel.
- Typical subdirectories of $UserBaseDirectory are:
Applications Wolfram System application packages Autoload packages to be autoloaded on startup FrontEnd front end initialization files Kernel kernel initialization files Licensing license management files SystemFiles general system files
- These subdirectories are, if possible, created automatically the first time the Wolfram System is run by a given user.
- Appropriate subdirectories are automatically included on $Path.
- The subdirectories of $UserBaseDirectory are given in $Path before the corresponding subdirectories of $BaseDirectory.
Introduced in 2003