is an object that represents a cell in an open notebook in the front end.
- CellObject expressions are typically generated using Cells, SelectedCells, or EvaluationCell.
- id is an integer that gives a serial number for the cell that is unique to this front end session.
- In StandardForm, cell objects are printed so as to indicate the current style of the cell. Clicking on the cell object will act as a hyperlink that targets that cell.
- CellObject is useful for designating target cells for various notebook operations without altering the state of the current selection in the notebook.
- Some notebook manipulation functions, such as NotebookRead and NotebookDelete, which operate on a notebook's current selection, also support forms using CellObject.
- Any function that takes a NotebookSelection can also take a CellObject or a list of CellObject expressions.
- If the cell targeted by CellObject is deleted or if its container notebook is closed, the CellObject will no longer be valid for use. Functions that attempt to use it will generally return $Failed.
- A CellObject is permanently invalid after a notebook is closed or the cell is deleted, even if that notebook is reopened or the cell is pasted into the notebook again. Any changes that only affect the contents of the cell without deleting the cell entirely will leave the CellObject intact.
Examplesopen allclose all
Introduced in 2012