factors a polynomial over the integers.
- Factor applies only to the top algebraic level in an expression. You may have to use Map, or apply Factor again, to reach other levels.
- Factor[poly,GaussianIntegers->True] factors allowing Gaussian integer coefficients.
- If any coefficients in poly are complex numbers, factoring is done allowing Gaussian integer coefficients.
- The exponents of variables need not be positive integers. Factor can deal with exponents that are linear combinations of symbolic expressions.
- When given a rational expression, Factor effectively first calls Together, then factors numerator and denominator.
- With the default setting Extension->None, Factor[poly] will treat algebraic number coefficients in poly like independent variables.
- Factor[poly,Extension->Automatic] will extend the domain of coefficients to include any algebraic numbers that appear in poly. »
- Factor automatically threads over lists, as well as equations, inequalities and logic functions.
Introduced in 1988
(1.0)| Updated in 2007