- OpenRead prepares to read from a file, starting at the beginning of the file.
- On systems that support pipes, OpenRead["!command"] runs the external program specified by command, and opens a pipe to get input from it.
- If OpenRead does not succeed in opening a particular file or pipe, it generates a message, and returns $Failed.
- OpenRead resolves file names according to the procedure described in "Files and Streams".
- The function ReadList automatically opens files or pipes that it needs.
- OpenRead returns InputStream["name",n], where name is the full name of a file or command, and n is a serial number that is unique across all streams opened in the current Wolfram System session.
- With the option BinaryFormat->True the stream is opened in binary format, so that no textual interpretation of newlines or other data is done.
- With the Method option, the stream is opened using the given input stream method. This overrides the default way that OpenRead resolves file names.
Introduced in 1988
(1.0)| Updated in 2012