- The following options can be given:
BinaryFormat False whether to use binary format for the file CharacterEncoding Automatic what raw character encoding to use FormatType InputForm default format for printing expressions NumberMarks $NumberMarks when to use marks in approximate numbers PageWidth 78 number of character widths per line TotalWidth Infinity maximum number of character widths for a single expression Method Automatic stream method to use
- On computer systems that support pipes, OpenAppend["!command"] runs the external program specified by command, and opens a pipe to send input to it.
- If OpenAppend does not succeed in opening a particular file or pipe, it generates a message, and returns $Failed.
- OpenAppend resolves file names according to the procedure described in "Files and Streams".
- OpenAppend returns OutputStream["name",n], where name is the full name of a file or command, and n is a serial number that is unique across all streams opened in the current Wolfram System session.
- SetOptions can be used to change the properties of an output stream, after it is already open.
- Functions like Put and Write automatically open the files or pipes they need, if they are not already open.
- With the default setting BinaryFormat->False, the setting for CharacterEncoding is taken to be .
- With the Method option, the stream is opened using the given input stream method. This overrides the default way that OpenAppend resolves file names.
Introduced in 1988
(1.0)| Updated in 2012