returns False if lhs and rhs are identical.
- can be entered as x∖[NotEqual]y or Esc!=Esc .
- returns True if lhs and rhs are determined to be unequal by comparisons between numbers or other raw data, such as strings.
- Approximate numbers are considered unequal if they differ beyond their last two decimal digits.
- gives True only if none of the are equal. 2≠3≠2->False.
- represents a symbolic condition that can be generated and manipulated by functions like Reduce and LogicalExpand.
- Unequal[e] gives True.
- For exact numeric quantities, Unequal internally uses numerical approximations to establish inequality. This process can be affected by the setting of the global variable $MaxExtraPrecision.
- In StandardForm, Unequal is printed using .
Introduced in 1988
(1.0)| Updated in 1996