- Using as the format specification, Import and Export can represent any file as a sequence of ordinary or special characters.
- Import["file","String"] imports a file as a raw string, representing each byte of the file as the character corresponding to FromCharacterCode[byte].
- Export["file",str,"String"] exports a Wolfram Language string of characters to a binary file. Characters with an encoding greater than 255 are converted to their ASCII representation before exporting.
- The format must be explicitly specified.
- ExportString[expr,"format"] and Import[Export["tmp",expr,"format"],"String"] return the same expression.
- Import["file","String"] reads any binary file, representing its raw content as a Wolfram Language string object.
- Export["file",str,"String"] exports a Wolfram Language string to a file.
- No character encoding transformations are performed when importing or exporting as .
- Export["file",expr,"String"] exports a textual representation of expr.
- See the reference pages for full general information on Import and Export.
- ImportString and ExportString support the format.
Introduced in 2004
(5.1)| Updated in 2007