gives the base directory in which systemwide files to be loaded by Mathematica are conventionally placed.
- $BaseDirectory returns the full name of the directory as a string.
- Typical values are:
C:\ProgramData\Mathematica Windows /Library/Mathematica Macintosh /usr/share/Mathematica Unix
- The value of $BaseDirectory can be specified by setting the operating system environment variable when the Mathematica kernel is launched. It cannot be reset from inside the kernel.
- Typical subdirectories of $BaseDirectory are:
Applications Mathematica application packages Autoload packages to be autoloaded on startup FrontEnd front end initialization files Kernel kernel initialization files Licensing license management files SystemFiles general system files
- These subdirectories are, if possible, created automatically the first time Mathematica is run.
- Appropriate subdirectories are automatically included on $Path.
- The subdirectories of $BaseDirectory are given in $Path after the corresponding subdirectories of $UserBaseDirectory.
New in 5