gives the base directory in which user-specific files to be loaded by Mathematica are conventionally placed.
- $UserBaseDirectory returns the full name of the directory as a string.
- Typical values are:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mathematica Windows ~/Library/Mathematica Macintosh ~/.Mathematica Unix
- The value of $UserBaseDirectory can be specified by setting the operating system environment variable when the Mathematica kernel is launched. It cannot be reset from inside the kernel.
- Typical subdirectories of $UserBaseDirectory are:
Applications Mathematica application packages Autoload packages to be autoloaded on startup FrontEnd front end initialization files Kernel kernel initialization files Licensing license management files SystemFiles general system files
- These subdirectories are, if possible, created automatically the first time Mathematica is run by a given user.
- Appropriate subdirectories are automatically included on $Path.
- The subdirectories of $UserBaseDirectory are given in $Path before the corresponding subdirectories of $BaseDirectory.
New in 5