starts a MathLink-compatible external program and installs Mathematica definitions to call functions in it.
- The Mathematica definitions set up by Install are typically specified in the MathLink template file used to create the source code for the external program.
- Install["prog"] will launch the specified program, then connect to it via MathLink.
- If prog is a directory, Install["prog"] will try to execute prog/$SystemID/prog.
- Install["name`"] searches all directories on $Path for a file or directory called name.exe.
- Install[link] will take an existing LinkObject and set up what is needed to call functions in the program corresponding to that LinkObject.
- Install returns a LinkObject representing the MathLink connection it is using.
- LinkPatterns[link] gives a list of the patterns defined when the specified link was set up.
- You can remove these definitions and terminate the execution of the external program by calling Uninstall[link].
- Install[LinkConnect["port"]] will install an external program that has created a link on the specified port. You can use this to call external programs that have been started in a debugger or on a remote computer system.
- If you call Install["command"] multiple times with the same command, the later calls will overwrite definitions set up by earlier ones, unless the definitions depend on the values of global variables which have changed.
- Install sets up definitions which send CallPacket objects to the external program whenever functions in it are called, and waits for results to be returned in ReturnPacket objects.
- The external program can send EvaluatePacket objects back to Mathematica to request evaluations while the program is running.
New in 2 | Last modified in 3