represents a rule that transforms lhs to rhs.
- The character can be entered as Esc->Esc or \[Rule].
- evaluates rhs immediately.
- You can apply rules using Replace.
- The assignment specifies that the rule should be used whenever it applies.
- In StandardForm, Rule is printed using .
- Symbols that occur as pattern names in lhs are treated as local to the rule. This is true when the symbols appear on the right-hand side of conditions in lhs, and when the symbols appear anywhere in rhs, even inside other scoping constructs.
- Rule constructs can be nested in any way. Rule is treated as a scoping construct, so that inner variables are renamed if necessary.
New in 1 | Last modified in 3