gives the smallest integer greater than or equal to x.
gives the smallest multiple of a greater than or equal to x.
- Mathematical function, suitable for both symbolic and numerical manipulation.
- Ceiling[x] can be entered in StandardForm and InputForm as ⌈x⌉, EsclcEsc EscrcEsc or
- Ceiling[x] returns an integer when is any numeric quantity, whether or not it is an explicit number.
- For exact numeric quantities, Ceiling internally uses numerical approximations to establish its result. This process can be affected by the setting of the global variable $MaxExtraPrecision.
- Ceiling applies separately to real and imaginary parts of complex numbers.
- Ceiling automatically threads over lists.
Introduced in 1988
(1.0)| Updated in 2007