generates a list of the first n terms in the continued fraction representation of x.
generates a list of all terms that can be obtained given the precision of x.
- The continued fraction representation corresponds to the expression .
- x can be either an exact or an inexact number.
- For exact numbers, ContinuedFraction[x] can be used if x is rational, or is a quadratic irrational.
- For quadratic irrationals, ContinuedFraction[x] returns a result of the form , corresponding to an infinite sequence of terms, starting with the , and followed by cyclic repetitions of the . »
- Since the continued fraction representation for a rational number has only a limited number of terms, ContinuedFraction[x,n] may yield a list with less than n elements in this case.
- For terminating continued fractions, is always equivalent to ; ContinuedFraction returns the first of these forms.
- FromContinuedFraction[list] reconstructs a number from the result of ContinuedFraction.
Introduced in 1999