is an inactive form of f.
- Inactive[f][args] is effectively a purely symbolic form of f[args], in which no evaluation associated with f is done.
- Inactive is conveniently inserted into expressions using Inactivate.
- Inactive[f] displays in StandardForm, with f or any special output form associated with f shown in gray.
- Inactive does not affect TraditionalForm.
- Inactive has the attribute HoldFirst and does not evaluate its first argument.
- Inactive[atom] gives atom for atoms other than symbols.
Inactive objects are grayed out in StandardForm:
But not in TraditionalForm:
Introduced in 2014