- In a numerical list, Ordering[list,n] gives the positions of the n smallest elements. Ordering[list,-n] gives the positions of the n largest elements.
- If there are several smallest elements in list, Ordering[list,1] will give only the position of the one that appears first.
- list[[Ordering[list]]] is the same as Sort[list].
- Ordering[list,seq] is equivalent to Take[Ordering[list],seq].
- Ordering[list,UpTo[n]] returns n positions, or as many as are available.
- Ordering[list,All,p] gives the position at which all elements of list appear in Sort[list,p].
- Ordering can be used on expressions with any head, not only List.
Find the ordering of values in an Association:
Introduced in 2000
(4.1)| Updated in 2015