or gives the square root of z.
- Mathematical function, suitable for both symbolic and numerical manipulation.
- can be entered using Ctrl+2 z or .
- Sqrt[z] is converted to .
- Sqrt[z^2] is not automatically converted to z.
- Sqrt[a b] is not automatically converted to Sqrt[a]Sqrt[b].
- These conversions can be done using PowerExpand, but will typically be correct only for positive real arguments.
- For certain special arguments, Sqrt automatically evaluates to exact values.
- Sqrt can be evaluated to arbitrary numerical precision.
- Sqrt automatically threads over lists.
- In StandardForm, Sqrt[z] is printed as .
- √z can also be used for input. The character is entered as EscsqrtEsc or \[Sqrt].
Sqrt threads element-wise over lists:
New in 1 | Last modified in 3