gives the error in the elementary n-point Newton–Cotes quadrature formula for the function f on an interval from a to b.
Details and Options
- To use NewtonCotesError, you first need to load the Numerical Differential Equation Analysis Package using Needs["NumericalDifferentialEquationAnalysis`"].
- The function f may be a pure function or a named function defined using Set or SetDelayed.
- The error is given as a function of n, a, and b multiplied by an derivative of the function f. The size of the error is bounded by the maximum of this expression over the interval from a to b.
- The abscissas may or may not include the endpoints a and b of the interval. The option QuadratureType is used to control whether endpoints are included as abscissas.
- With the default setting QuadratureType->Closed, the endpoints are included as abscissas.
- With the setting QuadratureType->Open, the endpoints are not included as abscissas. In this case, the initial abscissa is chosen to be a half step above the lower endpoint.