gives an iconized form that can be used to stand in for expr in notebook input.
displays with the specified name in the icon.
Details and Options
- The formatted output of Iconize[expr] will evaluate to expr when it is supplied as input.
- It is common to evaluate Iconize[expr] using Evaluate in Place.
- On many platforms, an expression selected in a notebook can be iconized using the Iconize menu item in the context menu for the selection.
- An iconized form can be converted to standard form using Convert to StandardForm.
- With the default setting Method->Automatic, the expression is written as is into the notebook.
- With the settings Method->Compress and Method->BinarySerialize, the respective functions are used to compress the expression prior to writing it into the notebook.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (2)
Iconize the data, storing a reference to the output cell for later:
Iconize the data but compress it using Compress:
Iconize the data but compress it using BinarySerialize:
Verify that the sizes of the second and third icons in the notebook are indeed smaller:
Properties & Relations (3)
Iconize evaluates its argument:
Interpretation allows you to specify an arbitrary appearance of an expression:
The expression is not evaluated by default:
Iconize has a unique appearance and evaluates its argument by default:
Possible Issues (2)
The typeset output produced by Iconize is not the same as the result of evaluation:
The typeset output evaluates to the first argument of the result:
When using compression, the iconized form may not be fully equivalent to the original expression:
When used inside functions that hold their arguments, the altered expression can be seen:
The original expression is recovered when the iconized form fully evaluates:
Wolfram Research (2018), Iconize, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Iconize.html (updated 2019).
Wolfram Language. 2018. "Iconize." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. Last Modified 2019. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Iconize.html.
Wolfram Language. (2018). Iconize. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Iconize.html