submits an asynchronous task to evaluate expr in the current session.
Details and Options
- SessionSubmit[…] returns TaskObject[…] to represent the task it creates.
- The following options can be given:
HandlerFunctions <||> how to handle generated events HandlerFunctionsKeys Automatic parameters to supply to handler functions Method Automatic how to determine when to allow the task to run
- Possible settings for the Method option include:
"Idle" run only when the session is waiting for user input Automatic run at any time, including during computations
- During the execution of the task, the following events can be generated:
"TaskStarted" task is started "ScheduleTriggered" scheduled task evaluation is beginning "MessageGenerated" evaluation generated a message "PrintOutputGenerated" evaluation generated print output "ResultReceived" evaluation generated a result "ScheduleExecuted" scheduled task evaluation is executed "TaskStatusChanged" task status changed "TaskFinished" task is completely finished "TaskRemoved" task is being removed
- With the specification HandlerFunctions-><|…,"eventi"->fi,…|>, fi[assoc] is evaluated whenever eventi is generated. The elements of assoc have keys specified by the setting for HandlerFunctionsKeys.
- Possible keys specified by HandlerFunctionsKeys include:
"EvaluationExpression" expression being evaluated "EvaluationResult" result of the evaluation "MessageOutput" content of message generated "PrintOutput" content of print output generated "Task" the object representing the task "TaskStatus" the status of the task "TaskType" type of the task "TaskUUID" unique task identifier "EventName" the name of the event being handled
- The expression to evaluate is returned wrapped in Hold.
- For scheduled tasks, the following additional keys can be specified:
"Schedule" task schedule specification "RunInterval" interval between task runs "PreviousRunCount" number of times the task has already run "RemainingRunCount" number of times the task still has to run "TotalRunCount" total number of times the task is scheduled to run "NextScheduledTime" next time the task is scheduled to run
- The task submitted by SessionSubmit is run in the current Wolfram Language session and has access to all variables and other states of that session.
- The task is run preemptively, both when the system is waiting for input and during other evaluations.
Basic Examples (10)
Use a Quantity object to specify time:
Capture Print output from the evaluation:
Introduced in 2017
|Updated in 2019