assigns rhs to be the value of lhs, and associates the assignment with the symbol f.
- TagSet defines upvalues or downvalues as appropriate.
- The symbol f in f/:lhs=rhs must appear in lhs as the head of lhs, the head of the head, one of the elements of lhs, or the head of one of the elements.
- A common case is f/:h[f[args]]=rhs.
- You can see all the rules associated with a particular symbol by typing ?symbol.
- If f appears several times in lhs, then f/:lhs=rhs associates the assignment with each occurrence.
- When it appears in unevaluated symbolic form, TagSet is treated as a scoping construct so that variables in nested occurrences are renamed if necessary.
Examplesopen allclose all
Properties & Relations (5)
Definition prints definitions associated with a symbol:
Information prints various information about a symbol, including any definitions:
UpValues returns a list of rules corresponding to any upvalues defined:
Wolfram Research (1988), TagSet, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/TagSet.html.
Wolfram Language. 1988. "TagSet." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/TagSet.html.
Wolfram Language. (1988). TagSet. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/TagSet.html