yields a disjunction of equations which represent the roots of a polynomial equation.
Details and Options
- Roots uses Factor and Decompose in trying to find roots.
- You can find numerical values of the roots by applying N.
- Roots can take the following options:
Cubics True whether to generate explicit solutions for cubics EquatedTo Null expression to which the variable solved for should be equated Modulus 0 integer modulus Multiplicity 1 multiplicity in final list of solutions Quartics True whether to generate explicit solutions for quartics Using True subsidiary equations to be solved
- Roots is generated when Solve and related functions cannot produce explicit solutions. Options are often given in such cases.
- Roots gives several identical equations when roots with multiplicity greater than one occur.
Examplesopen allclose all
Introduced in 1988