gives a sharpened version of image.
gives a version of image sharpened over pixel radius r.
- Sharpen, also known as de-blurring, is typically used to increase the visual sharpness of an image, i.e. to remove blurring and increase the focus of blurry regions. It therefore perceptually enhances local details (including edges) of an image.
- Sharpen[image] is equivalent to Sharpen[image,2].
- Sharpen works with 2D and 3D images. For multichannel images, it operates separately on each channel.
Background & Context
- Sharpen is a function typically used to increase the visual sharpness of an image, i.e. to remove blurring and increase the focus of blurry regions. It therefore enhances local details (including edges) of an image.
- Sharpen implements unsharp masking, which combines a high-frequency version of the image with the original in order to add details. Sharpen is a linear operation, meaning its application to a linear combination of images is equivalent to a linear combination of the images obtained by applying it individually.
- ImageDeconvolve provides finer control over the sharpening by allowing specification of the “shape” of the blur, known as the point spread function. The converse operation to Sharpen is Blur.
Examplesopen allclose all
In some cases, sharpening can improve the result of TextRecognize:
Sharpen an ultrasound image, specifying a radius:
Sharpen a color image by applying the operation to the luminance channel only:
Properties & Relations (2)
Sharpening changes the intensity of pixels near an edge:
Line profile of a sharpened edge:
Sharpen an image using Blur:
Add the unsharp mask to the original image:
Wolfram Research (2008), Sharpen, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Sharpen.html (updated 2012).
Wolfram Language. 2008. "Sharpen." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. Last Modified 2012. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Sharpen.html.
Wolfram Language. (2008). Sharpen. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Sharpen.html