replaces the string expression s by sp wherever it appears in "string".
replaces the string expressions si by spi whenever they appear as substrings of "string".
does only the first n replacements.
gives the list of results for each of the si.
Details and Options
- The string expressions si can contain any of the objects specified in the notes for StringExpression.
- StringReplace goes through a string, testing substrings that start at each successive character position. On each substring, it tries in turn each of the transformation rules you have specified. If any of the rules apply, it replaces the substring, then continues to go through the string, starting at the character position after the end of the substring.
- If the spi in the replacements si->spi do not evaluate to strings, StringReplace will yield a StringExpression rather than an ordinary string.
- In replacements of the form si:>spi, the spi are not evaluated until each time they are used.
- Setting the option IgnoreCase->True makes StringReplace treat lowercase and uppercase letters as equivalent.
- StringReplace[srules][expr] is equivalent to StringReplace[expr,srules].
- StringReplace[BioSequence["type","seq"],srules,…] will replace occurrences in the string "seq" according to srules yielding a biomolecular sequence. In this case, degenerate letters in the si of the rules si->spi are interpreted as wildcard patterns based on the type of biomolecular sequence. Use Verbatim[si] to match degenerate letters literally.
- The documentation for BioSequence lists the degenerate letters supported by each type of biomolecular sequence.
- If the biomolecular sequence operated upon by StringReplace is circular, wraparound matches are possible.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (3)
Use the operator form of StringReplace:
Use RuleDelayed (:>) in order to evaluate the right-hand side of a rule:
StringReplace works on special characters:
StringReplace automatically threads over lists of strings:
Replace only literal degenerate letter occurrences using Verbatim:
Properties & Relations (1)
Wolfram Research (1991), StringReplace, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/StringReplace.html (updated 2020).
Wolfram Language. 1991. "StringReplace." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. Last Modified 2020. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/StringReplace.html.
Wolfram Language. (1991). StringReplace. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/StringReplace.html