refers to a symbol with the specified name.
- All symbols, whether explicitly entered using Symbol or not, have head Symbol.
- x_Symbol can be used as a pattern to represent any symbol.
- The string "name" in Symbol["name"] must be an appropriate name for a symbol. It can contain any letters, letter‐like forms, or digits, but cannot start with a digit.
- Symbol["name"] creates a new symbol if none exists with the specified name.
- A symbol such as x has a name "x".
- If Symbol["name"] creates a new symbol, it does so in the context specified by $Context.
Introduced in 1988Updated in 1996