removes symbols completely, so that their names are no longer recognized by the Wolfram Language.
removes all symbols whose names match any of the string patterns formi.
- You can use Remove to get rid of symbols that you do not need, and which may shadow symbols in contexts later on your context path.
- Remove["form"] allows the following metacharacters:
* match zero or more characters @ match one or more characters, but not uppercase letters
- Remove["context`*"] removes all symbols in a particular context.
- Remove is HoldAll.
- Remove does not affect symbols with the attribute Protected.
- Once you have removed a symbol, you will never be able to refer to it again, unless you recreate it.
- If you have an expression that contains a symbol that you remove, the removed symbol will be printed as Removed["name"], where its name is given in a string.
- Remove works with LocalSymbol, CloudSymbol, PersistentValue and InitializationValue objects.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (1)
Generalizations & Extensions (2)
Properties & Relations (3)
ClearAll also removes all properties and definitions but leaves the symbol intact:
Possible Issues (1)
Use Unprotect to remove protected symbols: