reads one byte of raw binary data from an input stream, and returns an integer from 0 to 255.
reads an object of the specified type.
reads a sequence of objects of the specified types.
Details and Options
- Possible types to read are:
"Byte" 8‐bit unsigned integer "Character8" 8‐bit character "Character16" 16‐bit character "Complex64" IEEE single‐precision complex number "Complex128" IEEE double‐precision complex number "Complex256" IEEE quad‐precision complex number "Integer8" 8‐bit signed integer "Integer16" 16‐bit signed integer "Integer24" 24-bit signed integer "Integer32" 32‐bit signed integer "Integer64" 64‐bit signed integer "Integer128" 128‐bit signed integer "Real32" IEEE single‐precision real number "Real64" IEEE double‐precision real number "Real128" IEEE quad‐precision real number "TerminatedString" null‐terminated string of 8‐bit characters "UnsignedInteger8" 8‐bit unsigned integer "UnsignedInteger16" 16‐bit unsigned integer "UnsignedInteger24" 24-bit unsigned integer "UnsignedInteger32" 32‐bit unsigned integer "UnsignedInteger64" 64‐bit unsigned integer "UnsignedInteger128" 128‐bit unsigned integer
- The first argument to BinaryRead can be InputStream["name",n], or simply "name" if there is at most one open input stream with the specified name. BinaryRead will call OpenRead open files with no associated stream.
- BinaryRead[File["file"],…] is also supported.
- You can open a file or pipe to get an InputStream object using OpenRead.
- Streams for use with BinaryRead should be opened with BinaryFormat->True.
- There is always a "current point" maintained for any stream. When you read an object from a stream, the current point is left after the input you read. Successive calls to BinaryRead can therefore be used to read successive objects in a stream such as a file.
- BinaryRead returns EndOfFile if you are at the end of the file.
- BinaryRead returns Infinity for IEEE "infinity", and Indeterminate for IEEE "not‐a‐number".
- The following options can be given:
ByteOrdering $ByteOrdering what byte ordering to use Path $Path the path to search for files to be opened