gives a list of the names of symbols that match the string.
gives a list of names matching the arbitrary string pattern patt.
Details and Options
- Names["string"] gives the same list of names as ?string.
- Names returns a list of strings corresponding to the names of symbols.
- The pattern patt can be given as a string with metacharacters, as StringExpression[…] or as RegularExpression["regex"].
- The string can contain the following metacharacters:
* match zero or more characters @ match one or more characters, but not uppercase letters
- Names["context`*"] lists all symbols in the specified context.
- With SpellingCorrection->True, Names includes names that differ in a small fraction of their characters from those specifically requested.
- With IgnoreCase->True or SpellingCorrection->True, Names treats lowercase and uppercase letters as equivalent when matching names.
- Names lists all names in all contexts.
Examplesopen allclose all
Introduced in 1988
|Updated in 2007