extracts the directory name from the specification for a file.
Details and Options
- DirectoryName works differently on different computer systems.
- DirectoryName["directory"] is normally equivalent to ParentDirectory["directory"].
- DirectoryName["name",n] applies DirectoryName n times to name.
- DirectoryName yields output appropriate for use in SetDirectory and FileNameJoin.
- If name contains no directory specification, DirectoryName["name"] returns "".
- DirectoryName by default uses pathname separators and other conventions suitable for your operating system.
- DirectoryName[…,OperatingSystem->"os"] uses the conventions of the specified operating system. Possible choices are "Windows", "MacOSX", and "Unix".
- DirectoryName[File["name"]] is also supported.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (1)
Apply DirectoryName two times:
Introduced in 1996
(3.0)| Updated in 2016