gives a date object corresponding to the Julian date jd.
gives a date object corresponding to the specified Julian date variant.
Details and Options
- Julian dates, also known as Julian days or Julian day numbers, are extensively used to measure time in astronomy.
- The Julian date jd is given as a number of days since noon January 1, -4713 in the proleptic Julian calendar, or November 24, -4714 in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, using the GMT time zone.
- Julian dates are returned by JulianDate.
- Possible Julian date variants include:
"Reduced" relative to noon on November 16, 1858 "Modified" relative to midnight on November 17, 1858 (MJD) "Truncated" relative to midnight on May 24, 1968 (TJD) "Dublin" relative to noon on December 31, 1899 (DJD) "Full" relative to noon on November 24, 4714 BCE (JD)
- The default Julian date variant used is "Full". All referenced dates are using the proleptic Gregorian calendar.
- FromJulianDate returns a DateObject expression using the proleptic Gregorian calendar.
- The following options can be given:
TimeSystem "SmearedUTC" time system being used TimeZone $TimeZone output time zone
- Input Julian dates are assumed to be given in the time system specified by the TimeSystem option. The output DateObject expression will use the same time system.
- Julian dates cannot denote the addition of leap seconds and therefore TimeSystem"UTC" is equivalent to TimeSystem"SmearedUTC" in input in the function FromJulianDate.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (2)
Create a DateObject from a Julian date specification:
Properties & Relations (5)
For a historical value of a time stamp in a given location at a given time, LocalTime can be used:
JulianDate[date] converts date into Julian date format:
Julian dates can also be converted into DateObject expressions using the "JulianDate" calendar:
Wolfram Research (2015), FromJulianDate, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/FromJulianDate.html (updated 2021).
Wolfram Language. 2015. "FromJulianDate." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. Last Modified 2021. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/FromJulianDate.html.
Wolfram Language. (2015). FromJulianDate. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/FromJulianDate.html