is an inactive form of f.
- Inactive[f][args] is effectively a purely symbolic form of f[args], in which no evaluation associated with f is done.
- Inactive is conveniently inserted into expressions using Inactivate.
- Inactive[f] displays in StandardForm, with f or any special output form associated with f shown in gray.
- Inactive does not affect TraditionalForm.
- Inactive has the attribute HoldFirst and does not evaluate its first argument.
- Inactive[atom] gives atom for atoms other than symbols.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (3)
Basic Uses (5)
Formal Operations (5)
Differentiate operators including Integrate:
Difference operators including Sum:
Other formal operations including Product:
Basic Identities (4)
Function Identities (3)
Calculus Identities (9)
Apply DifferenceDelta to an inactive sum:
The product rule for the Laplacian:
Derive Identities (5)
Solve Differential Equations (2)
Derive a Least-Squares Solution (1)
Code Transformation (1)
Applying the function replaces the Module local variables with unique variables:
Properties & Relations (4)
Inactive expressions can be created using Inactivate:
Inactive expressions can be evaluated using Activate:
Inactive creates inactive forms of symbols and allows parts of expressions to be inactive:
Hold maintains the expression in unevaluated form, and all parts are inactive:
Compare an inactive expression with the corresponding FullForm: